Friday, June 23, 2017

Toilet Chain

My kids approach flushing a toilet like it were an Olympic event. As a result, they bust the handles all the time. I keep a ready supply of extra handles on hand so I can get things fixed quick. But the annoying part is: they won't tell me the handle broke! It might sit that way for several days and not one will say anything!

I was sure I had a broken handle today.

Lets start with some Toilet 101 basics. You have a toilet handle
The handle works like a teeter totter: When you push down on one end, the other end (which is a stick inside the tank) raises.
Attached to this stick is a chain.
At the bottom of the chain is a flapper
Lets put it all together... You push down on the handle... the stick rises and pulls the chain with it. The chain lifts the flapper... causing the toilet to flush.

In my case today, the handle did not break as I suspected it had. Instead, the chain disconnected from the stick. I fished the chain out of the bottom of the tank and reconnected it. Life is good once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment